Monday, April 02, 2012

Return

Farewell, my love. One day I will return to Stromlemov, the pearl of the North...
From my sketch book, and, as an experiment, scanned via the Camscanner app on my smartphone. It really boosts the linework, ups the contrast, which would be helpful for scanning text, but it tends to make things a little harsh for subtle illustration. The colours are quite contrasty...

And on Saturday I returned to the Swamp Store (subject of last week's sketch) to see how it was coping with the expected flood. Fortunately the river peaked at 7.2m, well below the worst fears, which had water up to 8m. The Swamp Store is on the right of the photo, you can see how close the waters actually came. In the end, very few houses in town were affected, the one in the foreground was the worst I saw with water right through the yard, but, like many houses in the area, it was built on stilts, raised well above the ground. This is not only for flood relief, but keeps the house cooler in the warmer months.


1 comment:

Creations By Mit said...

This is really quite beautiful! And I can't believe you reproduced it with your phone!!